Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Do what the Peruvians Do

Well I have known for five days now that I am going to Peru for my mission. PERU! When I opened my call, I didn't even know exactly where Peru was or anything about it for that matter.
Here is Peru. Right in the center is the city of Huancayo. It is the 5th largest city in Peru. It is located in the Central Andes Mountains. And this is where I am going to be spending the next 18 months of my life. Some things I have learned about Peru:
Guinea Pigs are a big deal. In the city of Huaráz they have a Guinea Pig festival!! They dress them up and have contests and everything. Pretty exciting huh?? They also eat them! I am actually pretty excited about eating Guinea Pigs, it is a common dish there.
The weather in Huancayo is perfect. The average temperature is 57, and the yearly temperatures go from mid 20s to mid 80s. PERFECT! I can't wait.
There are two distinct seasons in Peru. The wet season and the dry season. Their summer months (November- April) are wet and rainy. And their winter (May-October) are really dry. That will be something to adjust to. Especially having Christmas in the summer time...
THERE ARE LLAMAS.
I will be taking a lot of cold showers, so in order to prepare myself for that, I have started taking cold showers. And surprisingly I like them.
There are really freaky bugs there....
The ancient Incas are front there along with their ancient city, Machu Picchu.
I can't wait to learn more, and to submerge myself in the culture and the language. Adios!


No comments:

Post a Comment